Redeemer community and friends,
Our front-line Common Table staff are experiencing unprecedented issues getting people into shelters and indoor spaces. There are 53 shelters experiencing COVID outbreaks, which means those shelters are closed for new intakes. Two warming centres were opened on Friday, but that only accommodates an extra 89 people … thousands of new spaces are needed to ensure people do not freeze to death in the coming days/weeks.
It is urgent that our local government take immediate action to create indoor spaces for people immediately. We have drafted this letter attached, (also available on Google Docs) for you to sign and send to Mayor Tory, and CC Mike Layton. We have been in ongoing contact with Layton who understands the severity of the situation, and he is expecting to hear more from our community. So please do send along this note (or any version of it) to them if you wish to participate in this immediate action.
Want to help more?
- Follow the Social Justice and Housing Network for more tools and updates
- Attend the press rally at 129 Peter St. this Thursday at 11am (more info on @SJHNetwork social media)
- Write your local councillor as well! (this is not just an issue for Tory and Layton!)
- Things most useful for people on the street are tools that get them into a warm space (even temporarily), such as Tim Hortons and McDonalds gift cards, and TTC tokens/presto cards
- Donate sleeping bags and warm winter coats to The Common Table for immediate distribution (best times for drop off, Monday-Friday, 9am-1pm) Arrange drop offs with Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spread the word about this important issue and feel free to share this letter template with friends and family, or write your own!
Thank you for your concern for this very important issue, Redeemer community! Please contact me if you have any questions at email@example.com
Stay safe and warm,
Angie and The Common Table staff