The Indigenous Solidarity Working Group, comprising parishioners and friends, is interested in the complex and myriad issues surrounding Indigenous People in Canada, and in particular relating to our urban Indigenous neighbours.
The group’s focus is both education and outreach. New members are welcome to assist with programming.
If you’re interested in Indigenous issues and our ministry, please use the form below to sign up for our newsletter, and let us know if you’d like more information on how to get involved.
The Indigenous Solidarity Working Group has developed a proposal for a mural to be painted by Joseph Sagaj, a prominent Indigenous artist. The mural would be installed on the lower cement section of the wall along Avenue Road. The proposal requires the approval of the parish. It is hoped that the parish will consider the proposal in the fall. The City offers a grant of $70,000 that we trust will cover 90 percent of the cost. The other 10% must come from sponsors, the community and volunteer hours from non-parishioners.
To date, two consultations (via Zoom) for parishioners have taken place as well as one with Indigenous members of the community. The consultations were opportunities to generate ideas about what the murals might portray. Joseph Sagaj has participated in these consultations and has listened carefully to the many ideas and suggestions generated at these consultations. The Concept Drawings contain the reports of these consultations. The Concept Drawings will be posted in the coming days in the Indigenous Solidarity Working Group’s section of Redeemer’s website.
The Indigenous Solidarity Working Group hopes to host a discussion group with parishioners in August.
Should the Advisory Board and Board of Management recommend that the proposal be brought to a Vestry meeting, this meeting would happen in the fall. Should the parish approve the proposal, a formal application would be submitted to the StART Committee at City Hall that funds murals in Toronto.
In the meantime, please read the proposal (see link below). If you have comments or questions, please send them to Stephen Allen, chair of the Indigenous Solidarity Working Group at the following address email@example.com or on SurveyMonkey. Efforts will be made to answer your questions within a week. Thank you.
If you’re interested in learning more about challenges and issues facing Indigenous Peoples, check out our Reading and Resources list below, as well as recent news in the sidebar.
Being the Church God is Calling Us to Be
The ninth Indigenous Anglican Sacred Circle began on August 8, 2018 at the University of North British Columbia campus in Prince George, B.C. The report of the day’s proceedings on the Anglican Church website includes the assertion that “the dream of a self-determining Indigenous church within the Anglican Church of Canada is closer than ever to becoming a reality”.
In the late afternoon, Sacred Circle received a draft version of the document An Indigenous Spiritual Movement: Becoming What God Intends Us to Be, which laid out the goals of self-determination, its meaning and guiding principles.